Monday, March 14, 2011

Vows

I started writing my vows today and I stumbled across this pretty little paragraph. I doubt I will incorporate it in my vows (I don't want to say the D-word at my wedding!) but I would like to share it with you.


"Because to the depths of me, I long to love one person, with all my heart, my soul, my mind and my body. Because I need a forever friend to trust with the intimacies of me, who won't hold them against me, who loves me when I am unlikable, who sees the small child in me, and who looks for the divine potential of me. Because I need to cuddle in the warmth of the night with someone who thanks God for me, with someone I feel blessed to hold. Because marriage means opportunity to grow in love and in friendship. Because marriage is a discipline to be added to a list of achievements. Because marriages do not fail, people fail when they enter into marriage expecting to make them whole. Because, knowing this, I promise to myself to take full responsibility for my spiritual, mental and physical wholeness, I create me. I take half of the responsibility for my marriage, together we create our marriage. Because with this understanding the possibilities are limitless. "

1 comment:

  1. What "D" word? I saw discipline, at least it doesn't say "OBEY"! Thanks for sharing this though, it is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete